The only surviving building of the Enniskillen Workhouse in Fermanagh, the Grade B2 listed entrance block, has been transformed into a business enterprise hub and heritage centre.
Originally opened on 1 December 1845 to accommodate people who found themselves in financial distress, the building was one of 160 workhouses throughout Ireland designed by architect George Wilkinson.
A recent article by Julian Fowler, South West Reporter, BBC News NI tells of the workhouse’s heart-breaking stories and how it has been transformed. Catherine Scott from Enniskillen Castle Museums has helped to preserve the personal stories and family histories that belong to so many and mean so much.
This significant project has been delivered by Fermanagh and Omagh District Council in partnership with South West College and made possible with funding from The National Lottery Heritage Fund.